The short trip out on the R/V Endeavor was a huge success. After leaving the dock and going to the VSAT internet connection I was able to quickly identify and squash a long-standing yet elusive bug in the ship-to-shore transfer code. I also discovered (and promptly squashed) quite a few minor bugs within OpenVDMv2, none of which had appeared in my development environment.
When I decided to leave NOAA’s Office of Ocean Exploration and Research it was in small part due to the excessive time spent at sea aboard the Okeanos Explorer. It’s been exactly 2 years since I left NOAA and I haven’t spent one night off-shore. Well that’s about to change. The reason: OpenVDMv2.
Up until now almost all developments on the new user-interface and under-the-hood improvements with OpenVDMv2 have been centered around software and a web-interface installed shipboard. And while OpenVDMv2 provides mechanism for getting data off the vessel, not as much effort has been made to provide a slick portal for accessing that data on shore… until now.
Thanks to the great folks aboard the R/V Endeavor and the E/V Nautilus OpenVDM is continuing to mature and improve! The biggest change in the latest version is that I’ve all but removed the need to use a terminal window to manage OpenVDM. Almost all aspects of OpenVDM can now be controlled via the web-interface. Continue reading
I just returned from Florida having completed the installation of OpenVDM aboard the E/V Nautilus. This was the second OpenVDM installation aboard a research vessel in the 4 short months that OpenVDM has been available for use. I couldn’t be happier with how things are moving forward. Continue reading