You know when you spend all that time building a really slick webpage with a great map feature and then find out it completely doesn’t work when the ship loses connectivity? Well I do (with OpenVDMv2). Here’s how I mitigated the situation.
It’s that glorious time of year again! Next week is the 2015 RVTEC conference. This year the conference will be held at the U.Miami/Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science in Miami, FL. I ran out of time to have more diesel-to-data t-shirts made but I hope that doesn’t deter folks from talking with me.
I look forward to seeing some of you there (and enjoy the last warm weather I’ll experience for months),
After nearly two years of development and hundreds of days of use aboard multiple research vessels, the open-source projects Open Vessel Data Management (OpenVDMv2) and it’s shore-side companion OpenVDMv2 – Port Office are now available for download from the online software repository GitHub.
The short trip out on the R/V Endeavor was a huge success. After leaving the dock and going to the VSAT internet connection I was able to quickly identify and squash a long-standing yet elusive bug in the ship-to-shore transfer code. I also discovered (and promptly squashed) quite a few minor bugs within OpenVDMv2, none of which had appeared in my development environment.
When I decided to leave NOAA’s Office of Ocean Exploration and Research it was in small part due to the excessive time spent at sea aboard the Okeanos Explorer. It’s been exactly 2 years since I left NOAA and I haven’t spent one night off-shore. Well that’s about to change. The reason: OpenVDMv2.